Thursday, February 27, 2020

Why Nourish Your Soul?

As I have been weak and in pain from the Shingles I thought I would share a few thoughts as to the mission I have to Nourish Your Soul Through a Symphony of Light and Colour!

I love how glass and painting can transform a space or at the least subtly tie into it so that it feels pleasing, stirring, touches the soul, nourishes you.  Watching someone's reaction after I have installed my artwork into their home and hear them say how it touches them, moves them,  is very rewarding!  I heard from a client I had from 19 yrs prior who told me they still love to just sit and look at the artwork I had created for their home.  
What I create, either in glass or painting, is not about me, it is not about who I am or what I am feeling, or any of the typical stuff that is in artist statements.  It is so much more than that.  

Over the years people have asked what is my art about, what is my style, what do I paint? I had a difficult time answering because I intuitively felt what it was all about but could not really describe it.  I would see the responses from clients after installation and looking back I can say that they were having responses from their soul, from some spiritual connection.  I was unable to really put it all together in my head.  

Before I could understand fully my mission I had to understand what my purpose is.  In order to do that I had to do some reflecting on 3 emotionally painful moments in my life and 3 emotionally joyful moments in my life.  I ended up doing this through a course taught by Ann Rea.  In doing this process I found a huge thread throughout my life that was connected from childhood.  I found that the painful moments in my life were about not being accepted for who I am, rejected at times, told I was wrong in what I thought or believed (I grew up religious and at times what I thought/believed conflicted with what was taught and if I vocalized it I was condemned or told I was wrong).  The joyful moments were times when I was doing something that fed or nourished my soul such as painting, bicycle ride, having sex, staring at a stained glass window, sitting by the ocean, listening to symphonic music (Beethoven specifically for me).  These are more examples than what I did in the month long reflection but they came to mind later.  

In tying the painful and joyful moments together briefly I saw that I am to accept who I am and nourish or feed my soul.  If I did not then I would continually be in pain, feel rejected, feel empty.  I am not the only one, many people need to nourish their soul, do things that make them whole.  So, what can I offer through my art?  I offer to Nourish Your Soul Through a Symphony of Light and Colour!

Why the word "symphony"?  A couple of reasons.  A symphony unifies many different instruments that have different parts to play.  There is depth, movement, dynamism. I do the same with both glass and painting.  I combine different types of glass, color, texture, beveling technique, elements of the client's home/office to create depth, movement, dynamism that ultimately provides the client nourishment for who they are, what they enjoy, for their soul.
Secondly, the Viola has a sound that reaches into and moves throughout my spirit.  I played the Viola in middle school through a couple of years in college and was mediocre at best.  I am ok with that, painting and creating in glass are more of what I am drawn to. Give me record or CD with a Viola sonata to listen to and I am in heaven!
Lastly, I enjoy being with others in a symphony listening.  Many are there for the same reasons, I believe that it is ultimately to feed and nourish their soul. 

So, basically, this is what my art is about.  There are other details that I could go into but not at this time.  If you want to know more feel free to ask.  
I look forward to having the opportunity to Nourish Your Soul Through a Symphony of Light and Colour! 

No comments:

Post a Comment